This guide will help you to get started with
Workload Onboarding in practice.
As part of this guide, you will:
- Deploy Istio Bookinfo example into your Kubernetes cluster
ratingsapplication on a VM on-premise and onboard it into the service mesh
- Verify traffic between Kubernetes Pod(s) and the VM on-premise
This guide is intended to be an easy-to-follow demonstration of the workload onboarding capabilities.
To keep things simple, you are not required to configure the infrastructure the way you would do it in the case of a production deployment.
- you are not required to set up routable DNS records
- you are not required to use a trusted CA authority (such as Let's Encrypt)
Before proceeding, please make sure to complete the following prerequisites:
- Create a Kubernetes cluster to install TSB and example application(s) into
- Follow the instructions in TSB demo installation
- Follow the instructions in Installing the Bookinfo Example
- Follow the instructions in Enable Workload Onboarding
- Make sure that on-premise VM and Kubernetes cluster are on the same network or on peered networks
📄️ Configure WorkloadGroup and Sidecar for the Workload on-premise
You will deploy the ratings application on a VM on-premise
📄️ Configure the VM on-premise
Install Bookinfo Ratings Application
📄️ Onboard Workload from VM on-premise
Start Workload Onboarding Agent